Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Kitchen remodel - home stretch!

Two months in and it's still not done.  But we can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

I've pretty much forgotten how to cook. Which is ridiculous, because the whole reason we embarked on this remodel journey is to create a better space for me to feed our family and for us all to hang out together... I better re-learn how to cook.  And I've probably gained an extra 10# beyond acceptable baby weight simply because we've been eating out all the time, and what you get at restaurants when eating out every single meal sure as hell ain't Paleo.

Once the kitchen is useable, I'm going to have to retrain myself.  After an acceptable gawking period, I anticipate being inspired by the new space and will get back into the swing of things quickly.  Luckily I have a lot of gourmet-minded friends who are excited to come use our kitchen, so hopefully they can help train me back into champion cooking shape.  I also signed myself up for Paleo Plan, which gives me a meal plan, recipes, and shopping list for the week.  Maybe being able to just follow directions for a while will get me back into good habits.  For right now I'm mostly just drooling over the recipes.

To whet your appetite, here's some pics with the current status.  In theory our roommmate/plumber Kevin is going to hook up the sink and dishwasher tomorrow and then HOLY CANNOLI I'll have a functional kitchen!  It won't be pretty yet, and it won't have drawers or doors in the cabinets (that happens next week) but a place to cook and clean?  OMG I'll take it.
Things got cooking (get it? get it?) when we installed the stove.
One set of burners isn't working yet, thus protective blue tape.

Upper cabinets!
more cabinets!


and yet more cabinets!
This is our dining area - the tall cabinets will be pantry in the lower 2/3 and have glass doors on the upper 1/3 for important stuff like beer and wine glasses.
The middle section will become a bench seat for the kitchen table.
 
Today (May 7) the countertops were installed.  Acres of cooking space.

3 comments:

  1. umm...are you suggesting that "cooking" is some kind of joke? or pun? 'cause, you know, i mean, sarcasm or something...it's all...i don't know...done? (get it? it's a pun, see..."done"? like a burned steak?...oh, man...i kill myself...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, that anti-robot shit is so powerful it could defeat the predator drone and protect innocent afghani wedding parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitchen looking good. Kamikaze Konstruction Kompany actually suspended that range hood on shoelaces. Ja, you'd better beef it up before it falls--it might shake up the muffin in the oven!

    ReplyDelete